While scanning the various blog sites, one of us came across this interesting note.
- "Due to some moron at PayPal, or better, the morons at PayPal, I am unable to withdraw funds or use the PP debit card for a few weeks."
- "I hung up the phone and promptly shut down my ebay stores, closed all the listings and took the rest of the day off."
A week later one of his eBay Stores remains empty.
Since we mentioned "Four eBay Sellers", "submitted for your approval" are four sellers of the hundred and nineteen sellers studied.
- clact (5209), member since Feb-25-02
- cleggandco (24352), member since Aug-20-02
- oldspartantrader (7696), member since Feb-28-05
- z50com (10482), member since Jun-25-00
These sellers are well known successful eBay PowerSellers with hundreds of listings. And with hundreds/thousands of posts on various venues.
Or at least that's the way it was in 2008/2009.
1. "Are you trying to cheer me up?"
Captain John Sheridan, Babylon 5
A set of two listings that has been essentially unchanged since 2010. Although it's been presumed that he is off doing other eBay related things.
2. "I'll be back."
Terminator, The Terminator (1968)
Cleggandco, also known at CohibaStore on the PowerSellersUnite forums, had this to say in 2007.
- "My sales are currently 90% ebay, 5% my web store and 5% blujay."
- "Most importantly you need to build a reputation. You cannot do this overnight. You need that reputation to help spread your reputation via word of mouth. It's still the best form of advertising."
Today he has an Amazon outlet, higher total sales compared to 2010, and for the moment no products on eBay. BUT that's temporary.
- "Of the 300+ ebay listings we used to run, we have perhaps 50 that will get re-listed when they fix it. I will continue to suck money out of their system and ride out the decline until it's completely unproductive - as everyone should be doing."
- "Customer service continues to be dreadful. Even as Gold Top Rated Power seller, getting an answer, or even making contact requires herculean effort. I'll bet cash money it will be this continued failing that finally drives me off from selling on ebay, rather than fees, idiot buyers or moronic rules."
Will this $10K a month (on eBay) seller remain on eBay? Shrug.
3. "That wizard is just a crazy old man."
Uncle Owen, Star Wars (1977)
Oldspartantrader or Carl, has been a fixture on the eBay Stores Discussion Board for years.
4. "You can count on my steel."
Unknown warrior, Army of Darkness (1992).
- "Ebay works great for me. Most weeks I sell 90-100% of my listings. Prices for my products have never been higher."
- "I hate hearing all the whining from unsuccessful sellers, adapt or go out of business. The strongest will survive, I have."
Depending on the source, his "90-100%" sell through was coupled with anywhere from $2K to $10K a week in gross sales. Making him at the time the largest, or one of the largest, in this small group of four sellers.
His current selling status has changed dramatically from those prior years.
z50com still sells on eBay in a smaller capacity, but appears to supplement his income through a part or full time job.
- "if eBay is willing to show such tepid support for a $6 billion dollars in sales a year corporation, how do you think eBay treats the much smaller sellers?"
Now we know.
"He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost."
Flight Officer David Campbell, The Longest Day (1962)
eBay Noise Aggregate (eNA)
- The eBay Noise Aggregate (eNA) - Measuring The Impact Of Store To Core
- The eBay Noise Aggregate (eNA) Redux